Friday, May 20, 2011

Olbia, Sardinia


Sardinia is an Italian island in the Med about 35min by airplane from Rome. Olbia is a city we come to often when over in this part of the world. Sardinia is Italian but they have blissfully chosen to to keep their Island a bit removed from the fast pace the world is currently in. The people are amazing and will help a perfect stranger anytime. This morning the only person running the hotel opened the restaurant for me just to pull an espresso. Compare that to the jackass at Starbucks who won't open the door 30seconds early so you can get on the freeway! The locally sourced food is top notch. Most of the local dishes are prepared very simply with land and seafood farmed nearby. The white sand, rock strewn beaches rival some I have seen in the South Pacific or The Caribbean I will post some pictures of the beaches later this week. Last night I was taken to a local spot for some local fare by my good friend Giorgio. We had a really nice mixed Bruschetta and mixed seafood salad to start. Giorgio talked me into trying a mixed grill of meat one of which was Cavallo(horse). Just to be clear I'm not a fan, although it is very popular here and very expensive. Sardinia is on the top of my list of favorite travel destinations. It's easy to get here from Rome and you may not want to leave.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Good choices on the lunch. The signore manning the esspresso machine looks like a Russian KGB spy!

    ReplyDelete