Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day BBQ



This weekend was the perfect excuse to make my favorite comfort food, Barbecue. I prefer Texas style smoked with a dry rub. If I have time I will smoke Brisket however out here on the West Coast we have an abundance of Tri Tip. It has a nice layer of fat to keep the meat moist during the smoke and it is more tender than Brisket so the cooking time is significantly less. I rubbed the Beef with Kosher Salt,Cumin,Chili Powder,Black Pepper and Brown Sugar. The meat smoked in a kettle grill with indirect heat for 4 1/2 hours at around 275 degrees. My wife made an amazing potato salad dressed only with Mayo,Sour Cream, Green onion and Bacon. I brought out some Asian flavors to complement a Slaw without the mayo. Here is the recipe for my Green Mango Salad. You can substitute for what ever veggies you like. I used green unripe mango, carrot and cucumber. The combination worked very well and had a nice crunch after soaking up some of the dressing.

Green Mango Salad
2 Cups Carrots Shredded or Julianed
2 Cups Green "unripe"Mango Shredded or Julianed
2 Cups Cucumber Shredded or Julianed

Dressing
1/4 cup sugar
4Tbs Rice vinigar
2Tbs Fish Sauce (asian section of grocery, could substitute soy in a pinch)
2Tbs lime juice
1/2 Tbs Chili Garlic Sauce (asian section of any grocery)
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Mix dressing and toss with salad. Let sit in refrigerator at least half an hour. Add chopped mint and re toss just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to enjoy this amazing meal!
    It was delicious! Great blend of flavors! Thank
    you Chris, and your family for sharing your day
    with us!

    ReplyDelete