Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tuscan Fall, Bistecca Florentina


One of the many things I love about Italy is simplicity. Food to be specific for this discussion. I admire the way Italians construct amazing, fresh and simple flavors using what the season gifts them with. With the Fall season here to stay for a while I am reminded of an October trip to Florence two years ago. Walking lazily past the train station one afternoon I passed a small doorway with a familiar scent wafting from it. I turned around and peeked in the door to discover a century old indoor wood burning grill. Next to it a glass butcher case full of every cut imaginable "nirvana". Failing to notice any thing else, I was awakend from this trance by a subtle but firm "Prego". Not being terribly hungry, my arm was twisted just hard enough to stay for a late lunch of Pasta Fajoli and Beef Carpaccio. Vowing to come back for dinner I was off to my hotel for a nap and a haunting dream about Bistecca Florentina from that wood fired grill. Returning to La Lampara that night has changed the way I grill meat forever. I learned a nice cut of meat, good salt and pepper and some olive oil are very powerful tools. Last night my wife came home with a beautiful Top Round and some nice Brussel Sprouts. I am not sure what exactly triggered my memory, but Florence was on my mind. The grill was lit quickly and we had a simple yet beautiful dinner of salt and pepper rubbed Bistecca, Brussel Spouts sauteed in olive oil and garlic along with White beans in Olive Oil and Rosemary. Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment